Text Size
Increase text size
Increase text size

Military Information


Important Information for Military Individuals and Spouses


Certain military personnel may be eligible for a renewal fee waiver


If the following requirements of §12-70-102, C.R.S. are established, you may be considered for a waiver of your renewal fees.  Official military documentation must be provided that satisfies each of the following:
1) Qualified service: Active duty personnel assigned to serve in an officially designated war, emergency or contingency may be eligible for exemption of renewal fees. Note: Consistent with 10 USC § 101, a contingency operation is one designated by the Secretary of Defense involving hostilities against an enemy of the United States or against an opposing military force.  Current qualified contingencies include deployments to Afghanistan, Operation Enduring Freedom or Operation New Dawn.

2) Qualified service period: must be at least 120 days in length.

3) Qualified renewal cycle:  The time frame of a renewal cycle is defined as the period from six (6) weeks prior to the expiration date of the current license through sixty (60) days following the expiration date.  Your qualified service period in 2) above must fall within the defined renewal period or up to 6 months prior to the renewal period.  

If each of the above requirements is satisfied, you must provide official documentation and clearly identify how it shows each necessary requirement is met.  The requisite official documentation generally includes a copy of the official orders.  Upon receipt of your request and documentation, your eligibility to receive the following will be verified:
•    Exemption of renewal fees.  
•    Exemption of continuing education or professional competency requirements (if applicable to your profession).

For individuals who meet the above requirements of §12-70-102, C.R.S., and who elect to pursue an exemption, please submit a copy of your orders or other official documentation that clearly identifies how you meet each of the above 3 requirements to


We will promptly respond to your request and provide a decision regarding your qualification for exemption as well as how to proceed.



Military education and training toward licensure/certification requirements:

The Director and Boards shall, upon the submission of satisfactory evidence by an applicant, accept education and training received in the military towards the qualifications to receive licensure or certification. Military personnel covered by this legislation include members of the armed forces or reserves of the United States, the National Guard of any State, the military reserves of any state, or the naval militia of any state.

Click here to learn more about House Bill 11-1100.


Newly relocated military spouse licensing requirements:

For certain professions*, military spouses who have been relocated to Colorado by military orders and are credentialed in another state are not required to obtain a Colorado license during their first year of residence so long as they meet the requirements provided in §12-71-102, C.R.S. Documentation is not provided to Department of Regulatory Agencies during that one year period. Upon application for Colorado licensure, these individuals must notify the Division of the date on which practice began in Colorado, and provide the name and contact information of any person employing the individual to practice in Colorado by completing the Military Spouse Exemption Form.

Click here to learn more about House Bill 12-1059.

Download the Military Spouse Exemption Form here.

* Note: the following professions are not covered by the one-year exemption from obtaining Colorado licensure: Professional Engineers and Engineer Interns, Professional Land Surveyors and Land Surveyor Interns, Architects, Physicians, Physician Training Licenses, Physician Assistants, Anesthesia Assistants and Optometrists.



facebook twitter


1560 Broadway, Suite 1350, Denver, CO 80202 Email
(303) 894-7800 - Phone (303) 894-7693 - Fax