Changing a License Status
Changing Your Status: Important Points
- Inactive Status: Per Rule 6.8 of the Accountancy Rules and Regulations, a Certificate Holder with a Certificate in Inactive status can neither Hold Out nor perform any service for which an Active Certificate is required. Please read the Accountants Practice Act and the Accountancy Rules and Regulations for further requirements.
- Retired Status: Per Rule 6.9, Retired status must be indicated by qualifying any CPA designation with the word “Retired,” and a Retired Certificate Holder can neither Hold Out nor perform any service for which an Active Certificate is required. Again, please refer to the Accountants Practice Act and the Accountancy Rules and Regulations for further requirements.
- Please note that a license in either Inactive or Retired status will still expire and must be renewed with a fee every two years.
- You must be current with your continuing professional education (CPE) when you apply for a change to Inactive or Retired Status: Although the rules do not require you to take a certain number of hours at a specific time during the two-year CPE reporting cycle, the number of hours needed is calculated based on 10 hours per calendar quarter – or 40 hours per year and 80 hours per two-year period. Please refer to the Board’s CPE Information web page.
- You must complete and submit an application to change your status: You must submit the form before or after the renewal period, which starts mid-October of each odd-numbered year and runs through the 60-day grace period (after November 30th) that ends January 31st of the succeeding even-numbered year. The forms are found on the Licensing Services web page.