Professionals (Applications & Forms)
Changes to Massage Therapy Licensure
Due to recent changes in the licensure rules, those seeking licensure as a massage therapist (previously a registration) will be required to provide primary source verification/documentation of passing the national exam and completion of an approved massage education/training program. Your online application is ONLY saved for a period of 30 days. If you cannot submit the online application within 30 days from the date you begin, you will be prompted to re-apply.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Please be ready to supply the following information/documentation before beginning your online application!
- “Official” transcripts from an approved massage therapy school: Please have your school mail your “official” transcripts to the Office of Licensing (1560 Broadway, Suite 1350, Denver, CO 80202) OR deliver your “official” transcripts to our office in a sealed envelope.
- Verification of your school’s approval/accreditation (if approved by a state’s community college system/educational regulatory body or a nationally-recognized accrediting agency): If the massage therapy school you graduated from is approved by that state’s community college system/educational regulatory body or a nationally-recognized accrediting agency, you must submit proof of that approval/accreditation. This may be on your “official” transcripts; otherwise, please upload a letter from your school OR a print-out from the accrediting agency website demonstrating your school meets the criteria.
- Documentation of passing an examination: You must upload documentation demonstrating you passed the Massage and Bodywork Licensing Examination (MBLEx), the National Certification Examination for Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork (NCETM) OR any other examination related to the practice of massage therapy, which must be approved by the Director.
- Verification of any other license/registration: You must provide verification of any other license/registration you hold or have ever held in any other state, U.S. Territory or Foreign Country. You may upload this documentation or have it mailed to the Office of Licensing (1560 Broadway, Suite 1350, Denver, CO 80202). The verification should indicate whether action has been taken against your license/registration. A COPY OF THE LICENSE WILL NOT SUFFICE.
For a print-out of required items, please view the MT Online Application Checklist below.
NOTICE: Application for Licensure is Online ONLY!
Those wishing to apply for an original massage therapist license by examination or endorsement can now do so using the online system. Please use the link below to be directed to Online Services. Upon your first visit, you must register an account with the division.
- Original Licensure: You are applying for an original Colorado license.
- Renew: You currently hold a Colorado license and are in a renewal period.
- Reinstate: Your Colorado license has lapsed or expired and you wish to reinstate the license.
Applications and Forms
License Expiration Grace Period for New Applicants. All new applicants who are issued a license within 120 days of the upcoming renewal expiration date will be issued a license with the subsequent expiration date. For example, a license issued between October 1, 2014, and January 31, 2015, will reflect a license expiration date of January 31, 2017. Licenses issued prior to October 1, 2014, will reflect an expiration date of January 31, 2015, and must renew in the next renewal period.
License Renewal Information. All Massage Therapist licenses expire on January 31 of odd-numbered years and must be renewed to continue practicing.
Still have questions?
Please review our list of Frequently Asked Questions for quick answers and email information.
Sign up for e-mail updates from the Division. You may update your e-mail address using Online Services.
Adobe Acrobat Reader is required in order to view and print many of these materials. If you do not have Adobe Acrobat Reader, download the latest free version directly from the Adobe website, or convert a document to text.